> Just found if I try to hide windows and show the desktop I get an error
> that says "Your window manager does not support the show desktop button,
> or you are not running a window manager."

Open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T and run

$ sudo apt install trisquel

(don't type the '$')

Log out and log in again, or reboot. If that fixes the problem, then
you probably didn't have the "trisquel" package installed during the
upgrade process and were missing some desktop components, including the
window manager, during the upgrade.

If that didn't fix the problem, open another terminal and run

$ marco --replace

If window decorations (the frame around each window and the bar with the
close/maximize/minimize buttons) appear, then the problem is that you
are using a window manager other than Marco. In this case, we need to
set Marco as your window manager permanently.

In the terminal, type Ctrl+C. This will cancel the "marco --replace"
command. The window decorations will disappear. Then, in the same
terminal, run

$ gsettings set org.mate.session.required-components windowmanager marco

Log out and log in again, or reboot.

Hopefully one of those two things is the problem, but if not let me know
and we'll take it from there.