> If Canonical goes to snap only and drops debs, that means 41
> downstream distros like Trisquel could be stuck with having to become
> snap/systemd systems.

They probably won't drop debs entirely. The base system, maybe things
like desktop environments too, will likely still be based on Debian.
However, they are encouraging users to install applications like
LibreOffice and VLC from the Snap Store. For now such applications are
still available in the universe repository, and most applications
exclusive to the Snap Store are likely proprietary, so it is currently
not a problem for Trisquel to simply not include snap. However, once
Ubuntu users transition to using snap for applications, Ubuntu could
conceivably drop its Universe repository (which already does not receive
security updates), and that would affect Trisquel. A distro like Mint
may or may not mind having their users just use the Snap Store, but for
Trisquel that is not an option, because the Snap Store contains
proprietary software.

As for free software that is not packaged in Debian/Ubuntu, due to
Ubuntu's popularity, developers often desire to make their software easy
to install on Ubuntu. When they do this by providing a PPA or apt
repository, that involves creating Debian source packages which can be
easily imported to Trisquel and other Debian-based distros, so
accommodating Ubuntu benefits also benefits other distros. However, I'm
lately seeing some[1] cases[2] where developers upload to the Snap Store
instead, which only increases Canonical's influence.

I'm not against distro-agnostic packaging in general, but I am against
walled-garden app stores that prioritize the power of developers over
the freedom of users.