Translation from the french users forum :

Hello,

I introduce myself.

I am 60 years old; I am a journalist.
My first computer was a Macintosh SE in 1988. For 30 years, I have been an enthusiastic mac user. Long an ardent defender of Apple, my opinion changed, finding that I was in an increasingly closed world that was becoming a commercial ecosystem that was also being joined by the applications I was using, with the imposition of annual lifetime subscriptions or the succession of interest-free, if not counterproductive, paid updates.

At the same time, I became aware of the use of my personal data by Google, Facebook, etc. I have also become aware of the threat to democracy worldwide posed by the current evolution of data use.

A year ago, I made a radical shift. I left all social networks and switched to Gnu/Linux with free software. My data is hosted in Switzerland by an independent hosting company that owns its servers.

I now use a PC with OpenSuse leap 15.1 which is mainly used for photo management.

Thanks to Magic Banana who kindly informed me about Trisquel, my main computer is now a Lenovo T400 with libreboot and Trisquel.

I also became a member of the FSF.

I am probably part of a new generation of gnu/linux users, without technical skills but with a lot of determination in their choice.

Xmas