> The Trisquel 8 repos have a version of Jami so old it's still got the
> Ring branding. It's really not helpful to have this kind of thing in
> the repos. Is it possible to backport a newer version? If not, it
> probably makes sense to just remove it from the repos

Ubuntu 16.04 (and thus Trisquel 8) is based on a 2016 snapshot, so with
the exception of Firefox/Abrowser and packages which have been
specifically backported, everything in Trisquel's repositories is the
same age as the this version of Ring/Jami.  If we were to start removing
or backporting packages just because they are old, it would have to be
basically the entire distro.  I think it is only worth doing this for
packages whose version in the repos has a specific problem.

Are you worried that the package being under its old name will be
confusing for users looking for Jami?  If so, that might be a good
enough reason to backport it.  It looks like the name change is
relatively recent.  Ubuntu 18.04 (and thus Trisquel 9) still calls the
package "ring".  It wasn't until Ubuntu 19.04 that "ring" became a
transitional package that points to "jami", so without any backporting
it will not be until Trisquel 10 that "jami" is in the repos.

Since Ring is in Ubuntu's Universe repository, it does not receive
security updates from Canonical, so if there are known security issues
then that would also be a reason to backport.  (We do this with Tor, for
example).  Are you aware of any issues like this?