> >$ sudo apt install mate fonts-ubuntu
>
> Does this command install MATE + Ubuntu fonts, or is it installing the
> MATE Ubuntu fonts?

It installs MATE and also installs Ubuntu fonts.  If you just install
MATE on its own without installing additional fonts then text does not
render properly.  (This is not a Trisquel-specific issue.  I've had the
same experience installing MATE from a minimal install on other
distros.)

> Also please try out with i3!

I haven't tried it with i3 yet, but I don't know of any reason a MATE+i3
setup wouldn't work at this time.

> I can't go back to anything else anymore, it has ruined all other WMs
> for me.

I know the feeling.  I can't stand stacking window managers anymore.