wow!! thanks for the thorough response.

Still unable to access the GUI of jais, but I did manage to move the files into terracemill. I did not run chown -R, I simply copied them over with "# cp -a /home/jais/* /home/terracemill/jais-files". I am operating from the terracemill GUI, and I seem to have no problem accessing the file. What does the change ownership do?

One more question: Is it possible to mount an external drive in the terminal?

I guess one more question regarding nomenclature in our exchange: what is a standard way to quote entries in the terminal? I am using quotations marks, and I see you preface your entries with either # or $. When inputting text, I am unsure how line breaks in this forum should be translated into my entering them into the terminal.

you write:
# mv /home/jais/* /home/terracemill/jais-files chown -R
# terracemill:terracemill /home/terracemill/jais-files

are these two lines two separate entries in the terminal, or is this one command broken into two lines?

what is best practice in forums like this when showing work?