> On Trisquel 9, is there / will there be a way to get rid of fonts that are dependencies of trisquel-desktop-common, such as fonts-stix and fonts-mathjax?

You can remove them like any other package, but doing so will also remove trisquel-desktop-common and some other metapackages. This on its own will not cause any problems, but it may cause some packages to be marked for autoremoval that you actually want to keep. You can avoid this by running "sudo apt autoremove" BUT cancel the command instead of confirming, and just look at the list of packages that *would* be removed, and "sudo apt install" and anything that looks important. This will mark the packages as manually installed, so the package manager will not remove them.

Another option is to install dummy packages with the same names as the ones you want to remove. If you want to go this route, do a web search for "apt dummy packages".

What problem are you trying to solve by removing these packages? It's possible that there is a less invasive solution.

> I just found the thread "Trisquel 9 Beta - Cannot Install Gnome Desktop"; I wonder if the approach chaosmonk describes there would work for this, as well.

I was not making a suggestion for end users to try. I was proposing a way for the devs to fix that issue (which is what we did).