> My ~/.mozilla/abrowser/ folder doesn't contain user.js or prefs.js. Only installs.ini, profiles.ini, and rwjebu0c.default.

Sorry, there was an error in my post. `~/.mozilla/abrowser/` contains all of your Abrowser profiles, which are directories of the form `$RANDOMSTRING.$PROFILENAME`. Each profile has contains its own `prefs.js` (and optionally `user.js`). In your case, the only profile is `rwjebu0c.default`, so look for `prefs.js` there.

> I'm currently on Trisquel 8.0. If I wasn't on the road, I would seriously consider switching to 9.0 repos and running a system update/ upgrade, to see if that would fix it.

Trisquel 8 and Trisquel 9 have the same version of Abrowser, so upgrading will not fix this particular issue.