Thanks for the reply. Apparently, I guess the problem was that my images were not complete. I tried a trisquel_8.0 live cd image and it did not boot, but I now tried the netinstall image that I have and it boots to grub normally. I downloaded the debian-hurd preinstalled image for 2020 with wget was in an tar.xz format. I wanted to try comparing it with the sum, but it is not listed here for 20200101 even though the readme advises to so. Sounds like a mistake on Debian Hurd project's part. I'll tell them to update it.

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/latest/hurd-i386/20200101/MD5SUMS