I used jami a little bit over the last year. I had some earlier problems last year but it has been good for me recently. That said I was using it only for 1-1 voice calls (from Trisquel GNU/Linux) recently. I've had good video calls too. I don't know what is the required bandwidth but certainly such comms can be sensitive to wifi connection strength. Therefore you may wish to use a wired network connection or make sure you are not too far from your wifi antenna.

Has anyone experience of jami/jitsi with many users, with screensharing to show a Libre Office presentation? With the covid-19 lockdown I'm finding colleagues wanting to use video conferencing more so it would be good when free software solves it without destroying privacy/IT security.

I don't know about jitsi. I'll have to check that out sometime if its free software.