On the contrary I think it is arrogant to expect students especially to be *required* to use proprietary software.

As a teacher, it is really important that learning tools are *accessible* and that means free and trustworthy.

For example MatLab/Mathematica can easily be replaced by SageMath. This alleviates the need to force students to spend money on abusive software.

Similarly it is really important that we have an alternative to "Zoom" or "Skype" that doesn't require students to sign up for something or even necessarily download a software at all (Jitsi for example). Zoom which my university is using right now limits video conferences of more than 3 students to 40 minutes or less unless you pay them.

I don't understand why people go to great lengths to respect moral concerns about religion, eating meat, etc but concerns, moral or otherwise, about software freedom are not taken seriously.

Also no one is demanding anything necessarily. Nonetheless as a professor or TA running workshops, yes, it makes a lot of sense for me to demand that the whole group use one platform. I would not use the word demand, but the whole group absolutely needs to be using the same platform in order for us to meet online, obviously. In light of that we should choose the most accessible option possible.

Also what do you even mean by "the unity is never recovered"? Unity is needed on a case by case basis.