> I would vote for basing off of Devuan. With Debian and Ubuntu you are locked into too many of RedHat's walled garden technologies going forward.

I think Debian is a better choice than Devuan for an upstream distro, at least these days. Starting with Bullseye (and with Buster if you backport Bullseye's version of elogind) it is not very hard to base a systemd-free distro on Debian.

I have looked through Devuan's VCS, and most of their modifications don't actually improve SysVinit compatibility, but rather are Stalinesque removals of any reference to systemd ever existing. Doing this isn't harmful, but it's a waste of time that could be and have been spent improving SysVinit compatibility and keeping up with Debian releases. Contrast with AntiX, who unlike Devuan does not spend time removing references to systemd, but has never depended on libsystemd0 and does a much better job keeping up with Debian releases. Trisquel already has trouble keeping up with Ubuntu releases. Imagine if after a Debian release, Trisquel users had to wait for Devuan to release their downstream version, and *then* wait for Trisquel to release theirs.

Also, because Devuan does not (and does not have the resources to) maintain SysVinit support themselves, if Debian were ever to drop SysVinit support it would almost certainly mean the end of Devuan, so using Devuan as a base does not actually make you less dependent on Debian's decisions in the long run.

If you are just a user who just wants a systemd-free Debian system working out of the box, Devuan is a fine choice, but as the base for a distro I think Debian is a better option. On most of my machines I currently run my own customized version of Debian, following AntiX's approach for SysVinit compatibility.

Ubuntu on the other hand, is indeed a poor choice if you want to avoid using systemd. Whereas Debian simply does not prioritize SysVinit support, Ubuntu makes conscious decisions to make use of systemd's features in some of their own software.