Hi,

I recently tested this Timeshift program [0] in a non-Trisquel machine and I liked it very much. Deja-dup was backing up the home directory and Timeshift was doing snapshots of all the rest.

I could browse files from snapshots and I could even solve a non-booting system situation I happened to have just by easily restoring its daily snapshot. I found it very convenient for a non-expert user like me, so I would like to have it on Trisquel and lower my fears to break things.

I don't know anything about the Timeshift project so I thought in those cases it would be a bit better to install from source instead of trusting a binary when I find no relationship to my personal web of trust. But, as I don't know much about building from source, I failed.

I posted the problem I got at https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift/issues/618
but I did not get any reply. This is what I posted:

amuuza@trisquel8:~/git/timeshift$ make all
cd src; make all
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/amuuza/git/timeshift/src'
Package vte-2.91 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `vte-2.91.pc'
No package 'vte-2.91' found
/bin/bash: line 0: test: -lt: unary operator expected
Package gtk+-3.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-3.0.pc'
No package 'gtk+-3.0' found
/bin/bash: line 0: test: -gt: unary operator expected
#timeshift-gtk
valac -X -D'GETTEXT_PACKAGE="timeshift"' \
        --Xcc="-lm" --Xcc="-O3" -D VTE_291   \
        Core/*.vala Gtk/*.vala Utility/*.vala Utility/Gtk/*.vala \
        -o timeshift-gtk \
        --pkg glib-2.0 --pkg gio-unix-2.0 --pkg posix \
        --pkg gee-0.8 --pkg json-glib-1.0 \
        --pkg gtk+-3.0 --pkg vte-2.91
error: Package `gee-0.8' not found in specified Vala API directories or GObject-Introspection GIR directories error: Package `vte-2.91' not found in specified Vala API directories or GObject-Introspection GIR directories
Compilation failed: 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
makefile:51: recipe for target 'app-gtk' failed
make[1]: *** [app-gtk] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/amuuza/git/timeshift/src'
makefile:2: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Now I have tried again to troubleshoot, I found this, but got stuck again:

amuuza@trisque8:~/git/timeshift/src$ sudo apt search vte-2.91
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
gir1.2-vte-2.91/flidas,now 0.42.5-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
  GObject introspection data for the VTE library

libvte-2.91-0/flidas,now 0.42.5-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
  Terminal emulator widget for GTK+ 3.0 - runtime files

libvte-2.91-common/flidas,flidas,now 0.42.5-1ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
  Terminal emulator widget for GTK+ 3.0 - common files

libvte-2.91-dev/flidas 0.42.5-1ubuntu1 amd64
  Terminal emulator widget for GTK+ 3.0 - development files

libvte-2.91-doc/flidas,flidas 0.42.5-1ubuntu1 all
  Terminal emulator widget for GTK+ 3.0 - documentation

So I would be very grateful if someone here could help me to install it from source, tell about their trust in the Timeshift project or just suggest any other tool similar to Timeshift you might use or know about.

Thank you!

[0] https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift