I noticed this issue with my USB wifi on both my laptop and desktop. The laptop uses trisquel 8 and kernel 4.4.0-186-generic while the desktop uses Trisquel 9.0 and kernel Kernel 4.15.0-112-generic. I wonder if this has anything to do with this bug:

https://www.parabola.nu/news/ath9k-wifi-devices-may-not-work-with-linux-libre-576/

https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/2824

"if you have a USB wifi device which uses the ath9k or ath9k_htc kernel module, you should postpone upgrading to any of the 5.7.6 kernels; or the device may not work when you next reboot - PCI devices do not seem to be affected by this bug"

My PCI wifi works and my Manjaro desktop also doesn't work with a different USB wifi since upgrading to the kernel 5.7.9-1-MANJARO so it seems similar. My USB wifi does work with kernel 4.4.0-119-generic. I have just created an issue for this but wanted to share my findings here as well.