In the Beginner's Guide, we read:

"""The solution is to find and review that original conflict.  By
re-experiencing the original effort and counter effort and the emotional
feeling I had at that time I find that the emotional charge dissipates."""

but the long night of the soul warns against trying to find original cause:

"""
Everything you wish to know about any effect in your mind lies in that
particular effect and your relationship to it right now. To skid off
sideways and reach deeper into your mind for the cause of this effect is
to commit your-self to the Long Night of the Soul. Don’t embark upon it,
for it may well be the last anyone ever sees of you.

"""