  From: Pete McLaughlin
  To: TROM
  Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010 11:48 PM
  Subject: [TROM1] the Natural Way Farming by Masanobu Fukuoka

  I am enjoying the several points of view in recent posts about The Art of War
and hope you are also.

  I have found another book to add to my recommended list.  Some of you might
remember books like the Zen of Archery or the Zen of motorcycle repair, which
deal with the philosophy and attitude required to do these arts well.  I have
found a book that could be titled the Zen of Farming.

  Masanobu Fukuoka was born in 1914 and lived on his family's farm, which his
family had farmed for 1400 years.  He watched the industrialization of
agriculture in Japan and dedicated his life to finding a better way.  The
results of 50 years of working his farm toward developing a technique that let
nature do the work and determine the results is documented in this book.

  I recommend it because it is successful sustainable agriculture using no
plowing, no pesticides, no fertilizer and no hybrid seed.

   The book tells how to do it but more importantly Mr. Fukuoka presents the
philosophy of the village farmer and the philosophy he developed to do Natural
Farming.

   When you read it you will find it is a close description of Nirvana.  The
Joyful being but not doing approach to life.

  Very interesting.

  Pete

  You can order the book used from amazon.com if they have a copy or you can
find it on line digital from several sources.

  These guys have it digitally. You will have to join for free by giving them
your email address.

  http://www.scribd.com/doc/17112055/The-Natural-Way-of-Farming-Masanobu-Fukuoka