Hi Leon
  I haven't done the research necessary to prove "snow ball earth" is true
or not.  I am reporting what science currently believes has happened in the
past.

Our sun is a variable star as we are new seeing with the polar ice melting
on earth and mars simultaneously.  It is possible it was weaker in the past.
Also our earth orbit is variable from an ellipse to a circle, which changes
the amount of energy received from the sun.

The orbits of all the planets and moons vary.  The moon is currently
receding from the earth at the rate of 1/4 inch a year if I recall the
figure correctly and the earths mass is increasing as debris from space is
added to it which may move it closer to the sun.
 Strikes by large asteroids can increase or decrease the orbital velocity of
the earth depending on where they strike the surface.  Bottom line is that
in the past conditions were different than at present but life has managed
to persist here.

Sincerely,