Hi Martin,

Yes, language all by itself is a subject and within itself can have mis-interpretations. Possibly that may be what is occurring here. I fully get what you are saying.

Statements made in and out of context will in fact have many different interpretations. To clarify, to me a statement that something 'has' mass means that it has the kind of mass known as physical objects. A statement that ridges are massey and then to go and use mass as the metaphor of a ridge is perfectly fine. I was concerned that to say a postulate has mass is of the nature that a postulate then can be looked upon as a physical object. This is not true.

If one were using the word mass as an adjective, one could say that a ridge has mass as I stated above and one could also say that postulates have mass in this same context. This would then be a metaphorical use of the word mass. And it would not be literally true.

Am I mixing nouns and verbs? I don't know. The source of the communication is who must clarify how the word mass was being used. This does really point out how easy it is to get the wrong impression and literally the wrong meaning from something as simple as communication. It is something we all should be aware of and communicate as specifically as possible.

Paul/Level 5 in progress