Here is Denis' argument from the book 02 the Philosophy of TROM

Pete McLaughlin

The Philosophy of TROM
By Denis H. Stephens

Okay, I'd now like to take up the subject of the philosophy of TROM—philosophy
of TROM. I'm very grateful to Terry Scott who reminded me of the importance of
this subject in a taped communication to me; he felt there's a definite need
for a look into the philosophy of TROM. Well, I agree with Terry. And so here
we go, we're going to talk now about the philosophy of TROM.

Let me say at once that the theory of TROM is quite consistent with the theory
of Scientology, and there are no areas, really, were they are at variance at
all with a definite exception that there's one of the axioms which definitely
does not apply in TROM. But I suspect that Ron in his later years, himself,
would have suspected that there's something odd about that axiom. Because I
used to talk to Ron in the early fifties and we used to skirt around the
subject of that axiom. There's things he said then that made me suspect that he
felt there was something odd about it. Axiom 31.

Anyway, the axiom is Axiom 31 in Scientology, and this is the axiom which
states that "Goodness and badness, beauty and ugliness are alike considerations
and have no other basis than opinion" that is Axiom 31 of the Scientology
axioms. And this axiom tells us that goodness and badness is really relative to
the situation. In other words, it's entirely a matter of opinion. That there's
no basis for goodness or badness, or beauty and ugliness in the universe. That
there's no basis.

Well now, discounting the subject of beauty and ugliness, for which I would be
inclined to say that the second part of the axiom is true, but I haven't
studied it all that much. I would say that if the axiom simply read, “Beauty
and ugliness are alike considerations and have no other basis than opinion,” I
would agree with that. But it's the first part, goodness and badness that
sticks in the craw.

Now this is a very old philosophical point that Ron hit when he hit Axiom 31. I
don't know whether he knew that he'd hit a very old philosophical argument. I
missed it at the time. It wasn't until a number of years later that I realised
there was a flaw in this axiom. It wasn't really until I started to get down to
my own research that I began to seriously doubt the validity of the first part
of that axiom. And I hadn't got too far into my own research before I realised
that the first part of Axiom 31 is in error; it's simply wrong.

This is the way it works: if you say that all goodness and all badness are
simply a matter of opinion, then you stop all possibility of social comment.
You know, you can't then point your finger at something and say, “Well, I
consider that bad.” The person would say, “Yes, that's fine, but it's simply
your opinion that it's bad, and I consider it to be good.” You see that? And,
bang, you've destroyed the whole subject of morality and ethics in one swoop,
just like that. You've just wiped them off the face of the planet. You see
that?

Once you say that goodness and badness are simply a matter of opinion you've
just destroyed all social comment, you can't comment about an action, because
the person could immediately say, “Axiom 31!” He could invoke Axiom 31. So,
“Well, look, these things are simply a matter of opinion. You consider it's
bad, I consider it's good.” And there's no absolutes on the subject. Well, not
so much as no absolutes, but it's simply a matter of opinion, simply a matter
of opinion. “I know my opinion's as good as yours, old chap,” he can say. So
you can't comment on an action.

Now, that is a very dangerous way to run a society, I can assure you. Societies
tend to collapse when this is adhered to. If you were to try and run a society
on that basis it would run itself into a hole, it would run itself into a hole
rather rapidly.

Usually this concept is associated with hedonism: That whatever I do is right
and whatever you do is right, and it's all a matter of opinion, and we all live
for today for tomorrow we die. It's a hedonistic philosophy. And no society has
ever flourished using that philosophy. It simply leads to the graveyard, very,
very quickly.

The society just collapses. It just falls apart. Usually it just falls apart
into bloody conflict. That's an end to the society and something more stable
takes its place.

In other words, it's not a workable; it's not a practical proposition. So the
first part of Axiom 31 is a fault.

So with the possible exception of that, TROM and the body of data of
Scientology are consistent with each other. And all we can really say is that
TROM bears the same relationship to Scientology say as, oh, say Einstein's
relativity theory bears to Newtonian mechanics. It's just a smoother way of
looking at it, and a much faster and a much more practical way of getting the
job done. But it does contain some more fundamental truths which were missing
from Scientology and so tended to limit the application of Scientology.

I suppose, logically speaking, from a philosophical viewpoint, you could put
Scientology within TROM with the exception of these odd little bits and pieces
like the first bit of Axiom 31. But you can't put TROM within Scientology,
because there's data in TROM which is not known in Scientology. But there's
everything that's known in Scientology in TROM. You'll find that it's all in
there.

So the senior subject is TROM, I can assure you. It's the senior subject. But
Scientology, with few exceptions, is quite consistent with TROM. So we do have
a philosophical background there, the philosophical background of Scientology.
But we can actually take the technology of TROM, and from it get a much more
workable philosophy than Scientology could ever have. And god, Ron worked hard
at this subject with the philosophy of Scientology. He really did over the
years burn the midnight oil there to try and get a philosophy of Scientology.

And in his latter years he even started to get into this subject of ethics, you
know, and started to say what was ethical, yet in his own axiom, Axiom 31 says
that goodness and badness are all alike considerations and have no other basis
than opinion. Yet here he was in the latter days of Scientology expounding a
code of ethics. Well, this is inconsistency in his own field, and he paid for
it. He paid for it.

You can't teach the students, make them learn Axiom 31 by heart on the one
hand, and on the other hand insist that they abide by a code of ethics. They're
two things that are logically inconsistent with each other. You see that?
There's these logical inconsistencies that caught up with him in the final
years.

Code of Ethics in TROM

Well, we're not going to fall for these logical inconsistencies of that type.
We do not say that goodness and badness are simply a matter of opinion. We know
that there is the subject of goodness and badness, we do know that there's such
a thing as ethics. You will find in TROM a code of ethics. It's written up
quite firmly in TROM. And as you live by this code you flourish.

And if you don't live by that code, the further you run your life away from
that code the less you flourish.

But we in TROM, we can go much, much further than that code of ethics when we
talk about the philosophy of TROM.

Code of an Ethical Being:
Never force a person to know a thing against their choice.
Never prevent a person from knowing.
Never force a person to make a thing known
Never prevent a person from making a thing known

Sent from my iPad