You are right.  I have never cast out a demon but I have seen it done and know it to be real.  Laura

It seems to me that perhaps you do not have too much experience with casting
out devils.  Throwing Scriptures and the name of Jesus at them might not be
very effective.  Remember the sons of Sceva?

Demons have an hierarchy, and some demons are much stronger than others.
I'm not aware of ever encountering Satan personally.  Satan is the head
Demon of Demons, though we often refer to Satan when we speak to his agents,
or when we speak about his agents.  I don't know for sure about Jim T.'s
statment, but I think there is reasonableness to what he says about this.
I'm not sure I would say that we "can't" bind Satan himself, but certainly
he would be a formidable foe.  I guess it is like the difference between
praying for a short leg to grow out even with the other leg and raising
someone from the dead.  Or perhaps another comparison would be like praying
for rain to be held back or for a mountain to move and be cast into the sea.
Binding a mischevious demon and binding Satan himself appear to me not to be
at the same level.  I'm not sure even if Satan himself inhabits people, but
if he did, I think I might be found to be in the place that Jesus described
when he said, "this kind cometh not out but by prayer and fasting."