David,

You have missed the point of my post. For some reason I am not surprised. The topic is not the Trinity. I only raised that as an example, one that we hashed out some time ago, and I will not be drawn into that trap again so that you can avoid the other points I made.

The topic was your insincere desire to "learn what protestants believe and why they believe it", why your biblical responses appear to be prooftexts, and how you can increase your credibility by supporting your beliefs with your extra-biblical documents. Although that will prove nothing it will show us why you believe the way you do, and show us why you (and other LDS) must prooftext to support your extra-biblical documents.

Perry

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Natural birth or baptism?
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:48:10 -0700

Charles Perry Locke wrote:

> Actually, Izzy, I figured this out in my first response to DavidH last
> December when I first joined TT. I have been watching for the last 6 months
> to see if my initial impressions were correct...and they have been proven
> out several times since then.
>
> Last December, being new to the group, DaveH posted that he wanted to learn
> how Protestants view the Trinity.

DAVEH:  I first posed that question several years ago, Perry.  And I'm still don't understand it, as I don't think (m)any of the other TTers fully understand it.  As I remember, there was even some disagreement amongst TTers about it.  Here is one TTer's
comment about it........
========================
"Discussing the Trinity?  Now you REALLY want to start something!  :-)

Quite a few church councils and nearly 2,000 years of discussion haven't
resolved the matter to the satisfaction of everyone professing belief in
Christ, and it's not my place to judge that belief. Needless to say,
Mormons are not the only ones who have problems with the doctrine, or with
the definitions.  "Trinity" means different things to different people."
========================

> He came across as genuine to me. I took
> his bait, and responded with a treatise on how Protestants view the trinity.
>
> I was shocked to discover that his response was not one of someone who had
> just learned something that he had said he wanted to learn, or asked
> questions about parts he may not have understood. It was a full-on rebuttal
> from the LDS perspective of what I had written.
>
> I fault myself for falling for the ploy.

> In my zeal as a newbie to be able
> to explain the Trinity to someone who seemed to genuinely want to learn I
> overlooked the statement that DaveH made that should have tipped me off.

DAVEH:  ROTFLOL   Now Perry, you almost had me feeling sorry for you about that, had I not remembered that we had quite a few exchanges with you off-forum about the time you joined TT.  And......it was you who first contacted me to try to denigrate LDS
theology.

> He
> said that he had been asking this question for three years, and no one had
> been able to explain it to him yet. Well, if he hasn't learned it in three
> years, he does not want to learn it. He only wants to argue about it.

DAVEH:  Perhaps your explanation included too much "mystery"........

++++++++++++++++++++
2. There are three co-existant, but separate and distinct "persons" combined
in a single God, which are called out in the Bible as the Father, the Son,
and the Holy Spirit. Traditional Christianity adopts this resolution, which
avoids polytheism, but introduces a cognitive dissonance due to our lack of
ability to fully understand this "mystery".

   So, in conclusion, the word "Trinity" is used by traditional Christians
to express a paradoxical concept that is in the Scriptures, and the
Trinitarian doctrine was developed to provide a resolution to this paradox,
although it does include a "mystery".

........to make it easily understood by me, Perry.  When you learn it, THEN you can explain it to me.  Until then, may I assume you will not "fully understand this "mystery"?

--
Dave Hansen

"Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought
to answer every man."  (Colossians 4:6) http://www.InnGlory.org