Terry wrote:
The other place, where the unsaved were held, is
 known as Sheol, and there was a great gulf between
 the two.  People in Sheol were waiting to go to
 Gehenna, or Hell as we commonly call it.

dm: Just a minor comment for the sake of semantic accuracy.
Doesn't the understanding of Abraham's Bosom / Paradise come
primarily from the work, "Josephus' discourse to the Greeks
concerning Hades"?  If so, then perhaps we should base our
language and descriptions upon this work.

jt: I don't think so DavidM. my belief is the same as Terry's and
my understanding comes from scripture Luke 16:19-31 where
Jesus taught the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.

<snip>
So it seems to me that if the foundation for your understanding is based
upon this work, it ought to speak in a way that Sheol is the place in
which hell fire (Gehenna) resides, and also where Paradise / Abraham's
Bosom resides (these being the same place) on the right hand, and the
place of torments being on the left hand.  In other words, all of this
is in Sheol, in some subterraneous region in the depths of the earth.
Of course, we recognize that those in Paradise have since the death of
Christ been moved to heaven, but prior to that time, it seems that the
Jewish understanding of Sheol was a place for all the dead not just some
of the dead.  It is Sheol which was divided into the place for the
righteous and the place for the unrighteous.  If you see it differently,
I would welcome hearing your thoughts about it.

Grace and Peace,
Judy