Hi again Judy,

I think we are closer in beliefs than you think.  I don't even disagree with most of what you have said.  However, one of our articles of faith states,
"We believe men (and women) will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression."  We do not believe in infant baptism, as we believe children are born innocent.  Because we did inherit Adam's fallen nature, however, we believe eventually we will sin--but not until we understand right from wrong, which starts to happen with most people at about age eight yrs., an age revealed to JS, by the way.  We do not baptize until that age or older.  People who never achieve the mental age of 8 yrs, are considered to be innocent before God, and will go to heaven automatically.  Children who die before the age of 8 yrs are in the same category.

Also, we do emulate Jesus Christ, and through his atonement hope to become  like him--but we do this due to his mercy, not as a result of our own righteousness--we are ALL sinners, right?  Basically, our doctrine is that we will be saved by grace, but only after all we can do for ourselves.  We do not believe we will get a free ride into heaven on Jesus' coattails.   We have to show our faith by being willing to keep his commandments.  If we slip up, then we have to repent and try again. This can be a long process.  But as he has commanded us, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as  my Father in Heaven is perfect."      (The Book of Mormon, by the way, says it slightly differently--it goes, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as I and your father in heaven are perfect.)

Peace,  BlaineRB