----- Original Message -----
From: "David Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 9:23 PM
Subject: RE: [TruthTalk] All truth leads to Jesus.

> Blaine wrote:
> > You didn't finish the passage, which reads,
> > "one Lord, one faith, one baptism."  Eph 4:5
> > I am curious, in your opinion, does modern
> > Christianity fulfill this scripture?
>
> At least as good as Mormonism, eh?  LOL.

Blaine:  The way I see it, there is a fundamental error in making the comparison you are making in your above comment.  The problem  seems to be that modern Christianity  comes across (at least to me) as a conglomerate of mostly Protestant religions lumped together to form an entity known as "the Church," which seems to have several disparate and often contradictory doctrines, as well as a degree of common consensus centered upon grace by Jesus Christ.  On the other hand, Mormonism as seen by Mormons is one church only--The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Within the framwork of that church, there is a high degree of doctrinal agreement--so much so that it is difficult if not impossible to find disagreement on basic issues such as faith, the nature of God, the relationship of man to God, baptism, priesthood authority, what constitutes scripture or the word of God,  fixed prayers, even individual prayer patterns.  When disagreement does occur, those who insist on teaching the doctrines upon which consensus does not exist are either asked to repent, or are cut off from membership.   Once disfellowshipped, although they may still consider themselves to represent Mormonism, they actually do not do so in the eyes of the church.   Breakoffs from the Church of JC of LDS broke off from the main tree, so to speak, and therefore became dead branches.   If the same were to happen in Protestanism, the newly formed branch with one or two (or more) dissenting ideas would still be considered alive and well and still a part of  "the Church."