[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 3/30/2004 10:36:33 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

DAVEH:  Yet you accept the T-Doctrine, which to me seems to have been handed down to and through the RCC folks to the Reformers.....which indicates your beliefs are rooted Protestantism.

I am content to read and watch this thread but allow me to chime in, briefly.  Because I get some of my thinking from orthodox Protestant theology does not make me a Protestant anymore than gleaning truth from Bonhoffer makes me a German or learning from Peck makes me a psychologist.  You believe in those two or three categories (Protestant, RCC, restorationist)  because your church believes that.
DAVEH:  Yes.......as I've said numerous times before, my beliefs are LDS biased.
  Unity in Mormonism is imposed.   I see you and Blaine as thinking individuals but not free thinking.  Your church does not allow that
DAVEH:  I'm not sure I quite agree.   On points of doctrine, disagreement can be a problem.  But on something like this (classifying beliefs), I don't think the Church cares one way or another.  It has never made any official statements about such a thing of which I am aware.  But, a lot of LDS folks have come to those conclusions based (somewhat as that which causes me to come to think the same way) based on how we perceive religions and religious thought evolving over time.
(of course the church cannot stop you from thinking, but you are not allowed to reach certain conclusions.)  Blaine would never be allowed to fellowship me as a true brother in Christ dispite his claim that we are such.
DAVEH:  I don't want to speak for Blaine, but I see nothing in Mormonism that prevents either of us to fellowship with non-LDS Christians.  Perhaps I don't understand fellowship quite the same way you do though.
That is part of the reason why your missionaries are not allowed to remain in homes where there is disagreement with their views.
DAVEH:  I can't speak for other missions, but mine never had such restrictions.   Nor can I imagine any missions having such rules.  I would think IF their would be a rule addressing when to stay/leave, it would be based around whether the missionaries are helping or hindering the person's eternal progression.  But.....I'm just speculating now.......I have not inquired about such things, and it has been 35 years since I was in that position.
 What unity you see in this list is due to agreement after free spirited debate and the working of the spirit.
I get frustrated with some of the disagreement on this, but I am not ashamed of it.  Disagreement and spirited debate occurs when people are free.
DAVEH:  Or confused.  What you see as a positive John, I see as detrimental to unity.   Rather than see unity in TT, I see folks get mad and leave when they can't get others to change to their way of thinking.  I haven't checked in awhile, but I'd be curious to know if TT is growing.  When I joined 4 years ago, I think we had a little less than 50 members.  Wonder where we are now......DavidM???

    To me, the same pattern exists in Protestantism......it tends to be disjointed to the point where the growth is limited by the disagreements and image it presents.  When somebody disagrees with a denomination's doctrines about homosexuals......they leave that denomination and seek one that is more accepting.  When those in that organization disagree......it considers splitting as the viable option, instead of holding fast to doctrinal truths.  Is that unity?  Not as I see it..
    John Smithson

--
Dave Hansen