Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 6:34 AM
Subject: RE: [TruthTalk] Calvinism

Hi Judy,

Please consider the following quotes:

When Adam sinned, sin entered the entire human race.  Adam’s sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned.  Yes, people sinned even before the law was given.  And though there was no law to break, since it had not yet been given, they all died anyway – even though they did not disobey an explicit commandment of God, as Adam did.  What a contrast between Adam and Christ, who was yet to come!  And what a difference between our sin and God’s generous gift of forgiveness.  For this one man, Adam, brought death to many through his sin.  But this other man, Jesus Christ, brought forgiveness to many through God’s bountiful gift.  And the result of God’s gracious gift is very different from the result of that one man’s sin.  For Adam’s sin led to condemnation, but we have the free gift of being accepted by God, even though we are guilty of many sins.  The sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over us, but all who receive God’s wonderful, gracious gift of righteousness will live in triumph over sin and death through this one man, Jesus Christ.  Yes, Adam’s one sin brought condemnation upon everyone, but Christ’s one act of righteousness makes all people right in God’s sight and gives them life.  Because one person disobeyed God, many people became sinners.  But because one other person obeyed God, many people will be made right in God’s sight.  God’s law was given so that all people cold see how sinful they were.  But as people sinned more and more, God’s wonderful kindness became more abundant.  So just as sin ruled over all people and brought them to death, now God’s wonderful kindness rules instead, giving us right standing with God and resulting in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord (Romans 5:12-21)

“The scriptures contain such vast and varied material that it is not difficult to surround an idea with biblical quotations.  The crucial question is whether the idea is faithful to the overall biblical portrait of God – the picture that emerges from the full range of biblical evidence.” (Richard Rice)

My big concern here is that I think most people give Adam far more credit than Christ.  We are so quick to show how we have all sinned in Adam but rarely will you hear that we all rose again in Christ.  The passage above clearly compares what Adam did to what Christ did.  What Adam did was to ALL, what Christ did was to ALL.  Judy there are passages in the Bible that will prove your point; there are passages that will prove mine (and Lance’s and Bill’s and DavidM’s etc.) as well.  What we need to do is weigh the full range of biblical evidence to come to our overall portrait of what happened in the atonement.  For one that seems to despise Calvinism (who you acknowledge you have never read and only base your conclusions on hearsay and how you perceive others have taken his teachings) you are the strongest defender of Limited Atonement on this forum.  When we stand before God do we want to say, “Well I thought that what Adam did was so important I decided to make him my focus.  Surely Adam was the height of what you came to do, no?”  Rather I think we will want to say “Thank you for the generous gift you gave in Christ Jesus.  I do not deserve it.  My eyes are fixed on Him.”

To anticipate what I believe may be your rejection I am not talking about universalism here.  I am saying that all are included in Christ (surely you cannot deny that the passage above states just that; the passage fails to make sense if the ‘all’ of Adam does not equal the ‘all’ in Christ).  Whether one accepts the inclusion decides the type of relationship they have in Christ.  I can say to my mother, “Mom, I now deny who you are, and want nothing to do with you.”  I can be cast out of practical relationship.  However, am I still my mother’s son?  Am I still a part of her family?  Yes, just not living in the benefits of communion, and possibly getting kicked out the will!  Is there anything I can do to actually remove me fully from my family?  No of course not.  “His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into his own family bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ.  And this gave Him great pleasure” (Eph 1:5).

Peace and joy,

Jonathan