Just sticking my toe in: See "The Faith of Jesus Christ-The Narrative Substructure of Galatians 3:1-4:11 (2002 reprint) Richard B. Hays.  This reference is for David. You can check this discussion (the faithfulness of Jesus Christ) out on the internet. Lance
Sent: May 14, 2004 01:37
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] The Passion Test

In a message dated 5/13/2004 5:14:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

David Miller wrote:
>>I'm getting lost even more.  "Didache" = doctrine,
>>so why do you use it to refer to faith?  Didache
>>has to do with the intellect.
>>
>>And what does "passionate" have to do with faith?
>>Passionate = sensuality and flesh, not faith which
>>is spirit.  I don't even view faith as emotional at
>>all, but not intellectual either.  It is spiritual
>>trust and confidence, a perception, a sense of the
>>spirit to perceive that which is imperceptible to
>>the senses of the flesh.

"Passionate faith" is neither sensual nor of the flesh.  These are words used by me to describe the true nature of "belief."   It is different from the "pistis" of the demons.   It has an emotional base and so I serve God with a passion.   Faith is more than  consent  -- it is a driving force not possible without emotion.  If you serve God with less than a passion for servitude, so be it.

John S. wrote:
>The    w   o   r   d   "faith" is used in two different
>ways in the NT.   "The faith"  is a body of teaching
>(didache) (IICo13:5) and, again, in the sense of a
>passionate belief  --  an emotional allegiance  ---
>one that produces a pattern of activity.  The first is
>collection of revelatory and traditional doctrine, the
>second involves the intellect but moves far beyond an
>mere intellectual proclamation.

This is a very interesting conversation, John.  I have trouble seeing
faith ever being talked about in the New Testament as a body of
teaching.  I realize that many people in our culture use the word
"faith" to refer to a religious system of belief, but I do not see the
Scriptures using it in that way.  I read 2 Cor. 13:5.  It says, "Examine
yourselves, whether ye be in the faith."  I don't see anything about
teaching here at all.  How can one be *IN* the body of teaching?

Here is what Thayer says:  "pistis is rather the form in which the truth (as the substance of right doctrine) is subjectively appropriated."    I put it this way  -- "the faith" (Rom 14:1, Eph 4:13, I Tim 3:9 and 4:1) is a body of teaching that is the truth.  That body of "truth" is not as important as is the personal and passionate faith of the believer  -- and so we have "weak in the faith"  (Romans 14:1) spoken of the same individual who possesses a faith that is so recognized by God as to render that individual lost if he violates his faith  (14:23).   Romans 14 is a clear and explicit statement to the effect that personal and passionate faith in God and His Christ puts us in good sted---  opens the flood gates of salvation by grace (through that faith).   The "weak" or wrong brethren in Romans 14 are those who disagreed with Paul, for crying out loud.   With Paul..  Paul, the spokesman for God, the author of inspired scripture, does not speak convincingly to these brethren and Paul respects that  -- he not only allows for their error, he argues that the quality of their faith is just fine, albeit mistaken in a doctrinal sense.

   I see

this as referring to the same definition of faith that I mentioned
before, a condition of absolute trust and confidence in our Lord.  In
other words, he instructs them to examine themselves to see whether or
not they are merely paying lip service to God, or if they truly trust in
God.  Do you know of any other passages where the word faith might be
interpreted as teaching?

Furthermore, I don't see where faith has anything to do with emotional
allegiance.  In fact, I would consider "emotional allegiance" alone to
be a counterfeit of faith just as I would consider intellectual
allegiance to be a counterfeit faith.

You really enjoy arguing against straw men, don't you.  Nowhere do I say that emotional allegiance stands alone.   In fact, in the end, both our intellect and emotion fail us   -- hence the continue flow of the blood of the Lamb.

   Now emotion might be a side

product of faith, just as emotion might be a side product of knowledge,
teaching, or anything else.  Emotion is simply a reaction, either
positive or negative.  Faith itself is an ability to perceive a
spiritual reality which results in trust and confidence and assurance of
that knowledge that comes through the spirit.

Faith cannot be properly understood without introducing the emotional aspect.  I occasionally see couples who have made an allegiance to their marriage but their is no emotion there  -- no love.    Emotion without direction (right teaching) is useless  --  but emotion that seeks out the direction of the Lord is vital to any and all marriages.   Ditto for our relationship with God through Christ.

John S. wrote:
>You last sentence above does not communicate to me.

Well, let me try and break it down.

David Miller wrote:
>>It is spiritual trust and confidence, a perception,
>>a sense of the spirit to perceive that which is
>>imperceptible to the senses of the flesh.

By spiritual trust and confidence, I mean a loyalty and reliance and
assurance that originates in the spirit, within the heart of man.  By
perception, I mean a spiritual sense, that part within man which can
perceive God.  No man perceives God through the five senses of his flesh
(sight, touch, smell, hearing, taste).  Man must touch God within his
spirit.  Faith is that aspect of man that can see in the spirit.  Faith
is to the spirit what eyes are to the flesh.  Men of faith see in the
spirit the same way men of the flesh see in the physical world.  Based
upon that spiritual sight, they have a trust and confidence of what they
have seen, and we call that faith.

Perhaps this is a semantical issue, once again.   You seem to be saying there is more to man than the five senses.  I would agree with that.   I would not use the words "faith is that aspect of man that can see in the spirit,"  however.   It does not communicate in a practical way with what you are trying to say.   If you make those words work for you in your teaching of other, absolutely great.

John