-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Miller
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 8:21 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [TruthTalk] CAN WE ELIMINATE WOMEN FROM THIS FORUM

Izzy wrote:

> LOL!  I certainly don't think women are smarter

> than men, either.  I just think we have "different

> smarts".

I prefer to think of it this way too, Izzy.  Measuring intelligence is

nearly impossible.  IQ tests don't give the full picture.  Grades don't

either (Einstein had very poor grades in school).  Every test given is

tainted by those who give them, and we will see women being shown to be

smarter than men as women increasingly become the ones who design the

tests.  Even now, statistics for public schools are showing school boys

lagging behind girls in academics.  Part of the reason for this might be

that there are more female teachers and administrators, more females

designing the tests, etc.  However, another factor may be cultural in

that boys are feminized and not allowed to express their natural

masculinity in profitable ways.  It also may be that it is not cool for

boys to be smart.

So, anyways, I prefer to say that men and women are different

intellectually and in regards to leadership qualities.

David, I don’t think there is a difference of “smartness” re: leadership qualities.

God just wants us to operate differently with those “smarts”.

Have you ever tried to lead a pack of toddlers anywhere?

 God has ordained

an order for this.  We should accept these facts rather than try to

blame our ancestors as being the cause of it all.

I do accept God’s order for leadership—did you think I don’t?

If God created us to

be different, let us appreciate those differences and live in

complimentary relationship with one another rather than trying to seek

for an equality that does not exist and that our Creator did not mean to

exist.

Izzy wrote:

> ... I agree with David M's observation that women

> have not historically been great scientists or

> philosophers.  I just don't agree with his

> conclusion: that women aren't smart enough.

Now you know that I did not say that!

David, here is where I got that idea: You explain what you meant (below) yesterday:

“Now it might be a little sensitive in our culture to talk about this, but intellectual endeavors does not seem to be a particularly ripe field for women.  As you try to list the great thinkers and intellectual contributors who were women, you realize that there is a paucity of them.  Where is the female counterpart to Einstein?  Where is the female counterpart to Newton?”

Women are smart enough for what

their Creator intended for them to do.  My wife is a CPA and I have

never even had a business class.  You can bet that I am always asking

her questions about business law, taxes and the like.  That means she is

smarter than me in that area, but I will never get her to rebuild an

engine or discuss relativity theory with me.  I will probably never

change her opinion that I am the smartest person she has ever known.

I have exactly the same opinion about my husband.

I heard recently that about 60% of enrollment in college now is women.

Visit the science and engineering classes, and I do not think you will

find 60% women.  There was always a paucity of women in all the science

classes I took.  Whenever a guy said his major was education or

something non-technical in the arts and letters side of campus, other

guys would rag on him with envy concerning how he was in the classes

with all the girls.  I remember once taking several calculus classes and

then signed up for a statistics class the next semester.  The calculus

classes were very difficult and had like 3 girls in it and about 25

guys.  I was shocked when I walked into the statistics class because

there were about 25 girls and 7 guys.  The tests were so easy that I

never studied and made 100's on every test.  I thought the class was a

complete waste of time intellectually.

These are natural ways our society segregates itself by gender, but for

some devilish reason we want to blame our ancestors for it and claim

that men and women are the same.  I think we need to be comfortable with

our differences and value them.  Remember that the relationship of the

woman to the man and the man to the woman is meant to communicate man's

relationship to Christ and Christ's relationship to man.  If we try to

argue that the relationship is based upon equal abilities, then we are

disrupting this teaching.  If, on the other hand, we recognize the

differences and how we fit together, we will better appreciate how

Christ, who is so much better than us, desires us nonetheless, and that

we are valuable to him and his purposes.

David, We agree that women and men think differently. But I am not sure that we agree that women are not as intellectually inferior to men. Izzy