This deserves a second reading.

John

In a message dated 5/14/2004 12:03:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

BT: If something of mine is wrongly taken from me, I am displeased. If something is stolen, I want it back; and I want it back in the same condition in which it was taken from me. If it was in pristine condition when it was taken, I want it back in pristine condition -- nothing less will satisfy me.

Now, is it right for me to want these things and to be satisfied with nothing less? I believe it is, but from where does my rightness come? If I am right to want my stuff back and to be satisfied with nothing less than the return of my stuff in the condition in which it was taken, then this rightness comes from the rightness of God. It is his rightness. There is no other way to establish rightness other than in a transcendent rightness; hence, if it is right it is right in God's eyes.

David, this is justice: me getting back what was wrongfully taken from me. This is also justice on a grander scale, in fact the grandest of scales: God getting back what was wrongfully taken from him, and getting it back in pristine condition.

Does it displease God when his creation sins against him? Yes, of course it does. But sin does not have the last say. God sent his Son to the far country to re-gather his creation and to restore it to Him undiminished, unscathed, perfected. That he did. Justice is served in the act and being of Jesus Christ.

When we link punishment to justice and say that justice is served in the punishment of the perpetrator, we lose track of righteousness, we lose track of justice. Let's say for instance that one of my sons is murdered (what a terrible thought!). And let's say that the murderer is arrested and brought to trial; and that he is convicted and sentenced to death. Is justice served at his execution? Certainly not! Why? because I am not satisfied. I want my son back!

Execution may be what his murderer deserves but it does not right the wrong, it only takes a life for the life which was taken. Right would be if I got my son back, alive! and restored. That would be justice.

This is what Jesus Christ did at the cross. He gave his life for the one's that were taken (the life of all humanity), thus taking the punishment the perpetrators deserve. But, not being able to hold him, his enemies (sin, death, and the devil, and NOT HUMANITY) were defeated and he was resurrected, bringing with him and restoring to life and presenting to the Father all the lives that were taken, i.e., all of humanity. Now, that is RIGHTNESS! That is Justice: The Father getting back what was wrongfully taken from him!

Does it displease God when we sin against him? Of course it does. But it does not affect justice. Justice was worked out in Jesus Christ. The only sin that changes the restoration of life to God through the Son in the Holy Spirit (i.e., the sin that violates justice), is the sin which says to the Holy Spirit, NO! I will not put my faith in the Son because I do not believe that God even exists.

You wanted an answer. There it is }:>)

   Bill