Thanks David, for the explanation. The Lord sure made a diversity of life forms, huh? I am going to start raising rabbits in an area behind the house (the demand at present exceeds the supply), and under the rabbit cages, I have built worm beds to catch the rabbit droppings and use them to raise fishing worms. While reading up on worms, I learned that they do not have lungs. They breath through their skin. I guess that is why you never hear one cough.
Terry
P.S. Vee and I have a dear friend that is a marine biologist at the national aquairium in Baltimore. A strong Christian believer. When we met, he was doing research on lemon sharks in the Keys, and while commercial fishing,I happened to catch some of the sharks he had tagged. I am sure you would enjoy meeting him.... and he would enjoy meeting you..

David Miller wrote
Hi Terry.
My formal graduate level education is actually with snakes. My Master's

thesis concerned foraging in the mangrove water snake.

Neural activity in animals is not just in the brain, but also
centralized in other areas.  In simple animals, there is less
distinction of a brain and the neurology actually looks like several
brains along the spinal chord.  In more complex animals like man, you
will find more of a neural center in the head, which we call the brain.
Nevertheless, even in man, much of the autonomic functions are not
located in the brain, but in the actual spinal column itself.  Have you
ever heard of the "solar plexus"?  Fighters know it as the area just
below the rib cage that can cause a man to lose consciousness if hit
hard enough.  It is a concentration of neural cells that help regulate
certain bodily functions.  There are other masses of neurons along the
spinal column too, most often associated with involuntary activities of
the body, such as breathing and heart beat.

Snakes don't really have a big brain, so when you cut off their head,
their body continues to wreathe and wiggle and perhaps strike.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.