Terry, what I meant was that the unbeliever would divorce you and remarry OR just divorce and commit adultery without remarriage.  Either way, the Believer is free.  Is that more clear? Izzy

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Terry Clifton
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 6:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Marriage, divorce, remarriage, continued

ShieldsFamily wrote:

Izzy’s 2 cents: I think the Believer doesn’t have to get a divorce is she (or he) just wants peace (and not remarriage)—they can get a legal separation as a kind of safe haven until the other spouse shapes up.  If the other spouse files for divorce and /or takes another mate, the Believer is then free to remarry.  “Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called you to peace.” (I Cor 7:15)
The and/or thing is a little troubling Iz.  If the unbelieving spouse leaves and takes another mate, we can assume that he/she is now living in adultery.  That would leave you free to remarry per Matt.5:32, but if the other mate simply divorces for incompatability, and does not remarry, you can not assume adultery, and would not yourself be free in God's eyes, again citing Matthew.  Though some have said that Paul is giving the same grounds for abandonment as Jesus gave for adultery, that cannot be.  Paul loved and lived for Jesus.  He died for Jesus.  He would never dispute the word of Jesus.

Do you see something here that I am missing?
Terry