John writes:
Why then the Bible?  John

Terry responds: Because it was written by the Holy Spirit?Terry

 John writes:Of course I believe the Spirit had a role in giving us the Bible.   That is not the point.   If we have a Spirit that tells us what we need to know,  why do we need the bible?   Look at what is being said.    It is like me writing a letter of instruction to my children on what to do with the house when the wife and I are on vacation and then telling them, "if you have a problem with the letter, don't worry, I will calling you several times a day and making it clear as to what I want done."  There is no point in my writing the letter if I am going to suerintend their handling of the letter.   Not to mention that this teaching results in the believer having to say that his/her interpretation is right because it is inspirited.   John

Judyt:
I don't know how obedient your children are John but you have to understand that everyone born in Adam has been invaded by an entity alien to God thus Paul's admission in Romans 7.  We know what we should do mentally but there is something lacking in the carrying out of same so the Comforter was sent to both encourage and empower us to do the will of the Father
which becomes more and more difficult as our culture reverts back to paganism and the old mystery religions. We just spent a week with our daughter and son-in-law who have been faithful to raise our grandchildren in the faith they are walking in .. but I see the influence of this culture on them.  Sweet little Jenna likes Lizzie Mac Guire and she told me that Lizzie lies just a little bit but she is still a Christian.