Hughes Jonathan wrote:
Last night I took my two and a half year old son Noah to his first swimming lesson.  Noah isn't really afraid of water as much as he is afraid to spend time with someone other than his mother.  Last night was daddy time.  He didn't have his nap during the day and was mildly cranky by the time we left.  It didn't help that he stubbed his toe a few minutes prior to leaving.  What?  Mommy isn't coming?  "Will they have toys there?"  "Trucks or cars?"  Hmmm.  Not a great start.

Grandpa accompanies us to the pool which is only five minutes from our townhouse.  "We going in there?" Noah points.  "Yes, sweetie.  We have to go to the change room."  "Why?"  "So we can put on our bathing suits."  "OK," he replies.  Daddy and Noah go into the boy's changeroom.  Noah scans the outline of the room, taking in the large amount of grey lockers.  "Sit on the bench Noah and we will put your bathing suit on."  Each article of clothing I remove prompts Noah to ask "why you take my [shoes, socks, pants, shirt] off?"  "We just wear out bathing suits sweetie," Daddy assures him.  Now, Daddy is a bit on the overweight side.  Daddy thinks wearing his T-Shirt into the pool may be a wise move to avoid shouts of Shamoo!  Noah clearly thinks Daddy should look just like him.  "Daddy, take off your shirt!".  Daddy grimaces, realizes that what is good for the goose is good for the gander and removes his shirt.

Most public pools force you to take a quick shower rinse.  Noah takes a daily bath but has never been in a shower.  "Daddy, you get wet."  After some prompting and the holding of his hand the water warms up enough for Noah to "get wet".  Noah opens his mouth attempting to drink the shower water.  "Ok Noah, let's go meet the kids we will swim with."  Noah and Daddy, hand in hand, walk out to the pool.  It turns out there are four pools in the complex: two hot or warming pools and two much larger pools, one of them shallow and interspersed with small islands.  Noah immediately states that he wants to go in the "little one."

The class is ready.  The teacher asks the parents to walk their children down the incline into the water.  Noah and I take up the last position.  Daddy begins to walk down the ramp; Noah stands absolutely still.  Lifting 36 pounds of toddler we descend into the water.  "I want to go home" becomes the refrain for the next five minutes.  Noah becomes completely fixated on his own situation.  Like most of us when we become stressed we tend to limit our vision.  We don't see all the kids playing around us, or hear the hubub of joy.  We don't appreicate the silky feel of the warm water.  We want to go home.

Daddy continues to reassure Noah.  Little pecks on the cheek, followed by attempts at expanding his vision.  "Look at what that kid is doing Noah.  Wow, see how she kicks her feet?  Is that a slide over there?  Let's wave to Grandpa.  Remember honey, Daddy is holding you tightly.  He won't let you go.  You are safe."  Slowly Noah begins to take in his surroundings.  One arm drops from my shoulder into the water, a small splash results.  A smile forms on Noah's face.  "Do it again Noah."  Another splash follows.  Noah is beginning to enjoy himself.  The parents and kids form into a circle and sing Old MacDonald has a Farm.  When it is Noah's turn he states that MacDonald has a truck, with a vroom, vroom here and a vroom, vroom there.  The teacher grabs a few balls and encourages the kids to kick or throw them to each other.  Noah likes to kick more than throw.  We move to different stations as we move around the pool.  We get to an area deep enough for the children to jump off the sides.  I place Noah on the wet tile.  He is used to having part of me touching him at all times.  Now he is standing on the side of the pool, a slight shiver.  "Jump Noah.  Daddy will catch you.  I promise."  Noah dives more than he jumps, a magnet for my embrace.  "Good boy Noah.  Did you like that?"  "Do it again Daddy!"  Noah jumps in a few more times.

We continue to frolic in the pool.  Noah goes down the chidren's slide, happily falling into the arms of his father.  The half hour is approaching its end.  It is time to go into the 'warming' pool, the little one Noah wanted to go into originally.  The small pool has seats on the side with jets blowing bubbles.  Noah is not too sure about these jets.  "What is that noise?"  "Those are air jets that make bubbles.  They feel really cool if you put your hand in front of one."  Noah gingerly puts his hand under the bubbles to meet the rush of the jet.  "Woooooh," he says.  Most of the kids have now left the pool.  Only two of us are left.  Noah shakes the teacher's hand and says, "thank you."  It is time to go home.

I am reminded of an illustration that TF Torrance tells about walking with his daughter.  His daughter's tiny hand is engulfed in his own.  She thinks that she has ahold of her father but in reality it is her father who has ahold of her.  Last night Noah gripped me tightly but it was really my grip on him that mattered.  Daily we apprehend God but it is God's grip on us that matters; our tiny hands engulfed by His.

Jonathan Hughes

This e-mail and any attachments contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal. Thank you for your cooperation in connection with the above.

Ce courriel ainsi que tous les documents s’y rattachant contiennent de l’information confidentielle et privilégiée. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire visé, s.v.p. en informer immédiatement son expéditeur par retour de courriel, effacer le message et détruire toute copie (électronique ou autre). Toute diffusion ou utilisation de cette information par une personne autre que le destinataire visé est interdite et peut être illégale. Merci de votre coopération relativement au message susmentionné.
Enjoy him while you can.  Before you know it, he will be an unbearable teen ager.
Terry