In a message dated 11/26/2004 3:29:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

These are reasons that I am hesitant to speak evil of questionable âevangelistsâ, etc., unless I am REALLY sure about them.  Iâm sure I havenât thought this out completely, and would appreciate feedback from whoever.  Izzy

To be critical of another's speech speech is not to assume the worst os another.  There is no one on this list with whom I do not share a sense of Family  --  I give the benefit of doubt the boot when it comes to such things.   At the same time, words mean things and we have to be careful how we use them.

Your post above puts me in mind of Benny Hinn.    I am pentecpostal and so is Benny.   Few people in my congregation care for Benny, yet believe that nearly all that he does is possible.   But his manner of dress, his notion that there is an atmosphere about him that knocks people off their feet are things that hinder his ministry.   Does God work in his assempblies.   I think so.   Is he a child of God  --  probably.   Will I ever send him any money?   Probably not.

Concerning the judgment of God and our judgment abilities  ...    I believe that God is the sole judge of destiny.   But we are asked to share in the judgment of right and wrong.  In the I Cor letter, we are asked to judge those who are within the family of God.    And so, when we see a brother in sin, we are to go to him.

In terms of personal interaction, a lesson that needs to be learned by the masses is that words mean something.   What is "meaning?"   When applied to verbal communication, it includes the perceptions of the person spoken to.   The speaker DOES NOT GET TO DETERMINE WHAT IS MEANT because his words have become communal property  --  they have been shared with another.    A husband, therfore, cannot call his wife a whore and expect her to sense the love he really has for her.    And there are things on this site which we simply cannot say without giving the "wrong" impression.

As all this relates to Abraham,  Gen 20:11 IS a statement of motive and, therefore, I continue to use it in my discussion.

John

By the way, your post, of which the above is a small part, is an excellent post.   There is much that you ahve said in that post that is very good.   The Izzy that once was is back !!