DAVE SAID -- That's right. We agreed that "hate" was too strong of a word. I
guess then I should have said that I am still curious about why you [Slade]
think that the Early Church Fathers considered the book to be spurious.
Maybe you can just list a few who described it as such.

SLADE -- You're the one who claimed Early Church Fathers (ECFs) considered
the book spurious. I agree that this term was better than hated (although I
must admit joy to being repeatedly spanked for the same sin... thank you
sir, may I have another!?). Since the book is not part of the canon of NT
canon, where shall I begin? Eventually all those who really mattered agreed
that it is spurious AT BEST. But since you want me to list some, how about
Cotelerius, Eusebius,  and Manardus? In fact, here's a 'scholarly' quote:
"When it is remembered that no one ascribes the Epistle to the apostolic
Barnabas till the times of Clement of Alexandria, and that it is ranked by
Eusebius among the 'spurious' writings, which, however much known and read
in the Church, were never regarded as authoritative, little doubt can remain
that the external evidence is of itself weak, and should not make us
hesitate for a moment in refusing to ascribe this writing to Barnabas the
Apostle."

SLADE -- Interestingly, I was one who thought Barnabas and the Epistle to
the Laodiceans should have been included in Scripture. Nine years ago, I
changed my mind. It use of Gnostic terminology and it adherence to the same
as well as it's rejection of the Law have lessened its apparent importance
in my eyes. The writings of Paul can be viewed as either supporting the Law
in the Christian Community or it can be used to disband with the Law in the
Christian Community -- all depending upon the mindset and any preconceived
notion one carries with him/her to the page. Barnabas cannot be interpreted
except to disband with the Law in the Christian Community. (I still like
Laodicea but it provides nothing new to the NT.)

DAVE -- No, you misunderstand why I point out the 1st century date. It is
not because they agree with what I hope the most. It is because you stated
as fact that the book was second century. I think honest scholarship would
concede that it is not impossible for the book to have been written in the
first century. You speak as if the matter has been settled by scholars as a
2nd century book and impossible to have been written by the Biblical
Barnabas. I speak as if the matter is not settled beyond the 70 A.D. to 132
A.D. range.

SLADE -- Again, it's all in how you interpret the data. I think the
terminology used within the book indicate it's written by a Gentile with a
later date. You prefer an earlier date. In the end, who cares? The point is
that the ECFs considered it spurious, and I believe one of the reasons is
that it's authorship is in doubt. What's interesting is the source you
quoted (http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/) states the Testaments of the
Twelve Patriarchs was written between 70 and 200 CE. How can this be when
they exist in the DSS? Are you sure your academic sources aren't on peyote?

DAVE -- Your basis for dismissing the author is basically just because he
does not agree with your view of the New Testament's relationship to the Old
Testament.

SLADE -- Exactly. This is the same process the ECFs used to determine if
books needed to be included in a canon or to dismiss them. Anything less
would be dishonest. Thankfully, this [creation of the canon] occurred before
Gnosticism and antinomianism was too rampant, otherwise the canon would be
very different than it is now. The ECFs also used another method... the
smelled the text (if you allow me to use figurative language). If the text
didn't smell of the Spirit, it was rejected. Barnabas = case and point. It
is not in the canon.

SLADE -- Martin Luther used a similar rationale to argue that the book of
James should not be considered canonical. What would be more proper is if
you had other writings of Barnabas to compare with and then showed gross
differences. We don't have that. I think it is dangerous to put so much
confidence in your understanding as being right that you dismiss another
writing that might possibly present evidence that would change your
perspective.

SLADE -- As I stated above, thank GOD the canon was developed before
Gnosticism and antinomianism was too rampant. Luther is a pimple on the butt
of Christian History. He would have been better off remaining in
Catholicism. We might have been better off with Ulrich Zwingli or Thomas
Muntzer.

DAVE -- Perhaps you misunderstand. What Barnabas is pointing out is how the
breaking of the ten commandments by Moses showed the people unworthy of the
covenant because they turned unto idols. The people had indeed lost the
covenant, for after Moses broke the commandments, he had to go back to the
mountain and get them again. Moses casting the tables out of his hands, and
breaking the covenant, is expressed as a typology, showing the covenant of
Christ which is of the heart to be that which will truly endure forever.

SLADE -- The point I was making that you misunderstand is that we ALL are
unworthy of the covenant. The author puts a yoke too heavy to carry upon the
backs of the newly frees Hebrew slaves. Your typology argument is
unnecessary since Moses sated from the beginning that the covenant is one of
the heart and that WHY it will endure forever.

DAVE -- Paul himself uses this same Hellenistic dualism in Romans 7 and
elsewhere. Perhaps your Hebrew bias prevents you from acknowledging it? From
my perspective, your pointing this dualism out would tend to support the
view that this author was Paul's companion.

SLADE -- The use of Hellenized, dualistic, and/or Gnostic terms does not in
itself condone Hellenism, dualism, or gnosticism. After all, we use terms
like hermeneutics, but we don't worship Hermes (too bad Judy fell for that
one).

DAVE -- The author quotes how Yahweh himself expressed the breaking of the
covenant to Moses in Exodus 32:7-10............ I don't see where the author
forgot any of what you say here. He is simply pointing out what you seem to
have forgotten. :-) When the Israelites broke the covenant, Yahweh was
through with them. Moses pleaded for mercy, for a second chance so to speak,
and received it.

SLADE -- Oh, contraire mofraire (I know I misspelled the French here, but I
do not know French). The covenant was very much ALIVE. God was threatening
to do a lot of trimming on the tree, leaving a single leaf in tact -- Moses.
God was never through with them... we need to remember the nature of the
suzerain covenant.

DAVE -- I don't think it is a lie at all. Maybe if you had lived then and
saw how the Romans destroyed the Temple, you would change your tune. Have
you read Josephus and the attitude of the Jews during this whole event? They
trusted in Yhwh to deliver them at this time. It was unthinkable to them
that Yhwh would allow the Romans to detroy the temple. Clearly, God had
forsaken them in their stiff-necked attitude toward Yeshua Ha Mashiach.

SLADE -- This is the biggest piece of garbage you have ever written. God has
never forsaken His people. Let me ask you a question that I do not want the
answer to... What was in your heart when you wrote that last sentence? What
emotion were you feeling at the time? Evaluate the source of that feeling
(if one even existed).

SLADE CONTINUES -- The children of Israel lost their Temple because sin
abounds in this world. We live in a terrible world and this world hates
those who belong to God. You belong to God, as do I and the Israeli people.
We are all hated, and the world wants to destroy us. By destroying their
Temple and razing Jerusalem, the Romans were PROVING to the world that the
covenant is real and that it [the world] hates the covenant people. You have
taken the data of history and have used it harmfully. I have used the same
data and proved the continuance of the covenant.

DAVE -- He does not attribute these words to Yeshua. It is possible that he
is quoting a source that Yeshua also had access to but which we do not. It
also is possible that he was quoting Matthew's gospel. I understand Matthew
to have been written about 37 A.D.

SLADE -- Good. I also agree with the idea that the gospels (all the NT in
fact) were penned before 70 CE. However, you also do not address the issue
that Barnabas quoted Yeshua and used the phrase "as it is written." This
terminology is used ONLY for Scripture. What's even more entertaining is the
author of Barnabas had something that quoted Yeshua and the author also
considered it Scripture.

DAVE -- Well, what you have written up to this point does help me understand
your mindset. Apparently, you argue against apostolic authorship because
this author has a different view of Torah than you do.

SLADE -- I argue against apostolic authorship because this author has a
different view of Torah than Scripture.

DAVE -- How do you know? The Scriptures repeatedly show Paul leaning toward
that way, shaking his feet off against the Jews several times, and even
saying that he would stop approaching the Jews and only go to the Gentiles.

SLADE -- That's the problem with having little or no historical and cultural
background behind the text. Otherwise you would know that it's problems with
Hillel vs. Shammai, Pharisee vs. Sadducee, and legalist vs. suzerain
covenentalists (for lack of a better instantaneous term to use).

DAVE -- I'm not sure of your point here. My Greek Bible shows Barnabas with
a "Greek-ified" name in the NT.

SLADE -- I'm sure the Greek-ified name of Barnabas has nothing to do with a
transliteration from Aramaic to Greek... is that what you're suggesting? The
man's name was probably Bar Nabba which in Aramaic either means "son of
exhortation" or "Son of a prophet." A Greek-ified name would be like Jason,
Theophilos, Nicodemus (whose real name is Nakdimon or Buni -- but that's
another conversation), etc.

DAVE -- I think that this is a gross overstatement in regards to the NT. I
don't have the firm statistics in front of me, but they would be more like
some 80 quotes from the OT, and maybe 1 or 2 quotes from the NT, with only
one seeming to be a direct quote and even of that we are not sure.

SLADE: Some of the book's NT Quotes/paraphrases/allusions: II Cor 12.7,
James 1.8, Eph 6.9, Rom 8.29-30, Matt 5.42, Luke 6.30, Matt 22.4, Matt 9.13,
I Cor 3.16-17, Acts 14.22, Heb 9.13, Rom 11.36, Rom 4.3, Luke 4.18

DAVE -- An antagonist of Torah does not quote it profusely as a source of
salvation and as the way of the Lord. An antagonist of Torah does not use
Torah to establish his arguments. If you want to see a true antagonist of
Torah, go down to Ybor city near you one Friday night and stand on a street
corner and preach Torah. I have done this many times. If you do it the right
way and draw a crowd, you will get some true antagonists of Torah. Someone
like this author we are talking about will not be in that crowd of
antagonists. :-)

SLADE -- I have spent far too much time on this post and I think it's time I
end it. I will answer other posts once I finish cleaning the house and
return to my homework.