Bill Taylor wrote:
> This, I believe, is John's point vis-a-vis
> Romans 2. A Gentile may live his entire
> life (especially back then) and never have
> an occasion to hear the name of Jesus Christ,
> let alone respond to him in faith;

Have you read Tom Wright on Romans 2?  Do you depart from Tom Wright's
perspective on Romans?

Bill Taylor wrote:
> hence the Gentile's absence of "belief" does not
> necessarily have to translate into a rejection of
> Christ. But the Jews grew up hearing about the
> coming of Messiah. Theirs was not a question of
> whether or not they would hear of him; theirs was
> one of whether they would reject him or receive/believe
> in him when he came. As with the Jew, so it is for
> the Gentile: to reject Christ is to lose your salvation.
> But where the Gentile is not necessarily rejecting
> Christ if he does not "believe" in him, this was not
> so for the Jews. To the Jew to not believe in Jesus
> was to not receive him, which was to reject him,
> which is to reject the right to become a child of God.

I don't understand your perspective here.  It seems to me that the Gentile
who does not believe in Christ when Christ is proclaimed to him is rejecting
Christ in the same way as the Jew.  I certainly can track with you in some
way, following the principle of "those who are given more, much more is
required," but it seems like you are saying that the Gentile who does not
believe the gospel preached to him is not actually rejecting Christ.  I have
trouble with that concept.  Am I misunderstanding you?