In a message dated 1/11/2005 1:56:40 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I do not glibbly accept Dave as a Christian  --  it is based upon his answer to a question I asked about Christ.   In word (script), he expressed my faith.
JD

A matter of grave concern for the discerning. Izzy

The following is what was said by me and,  Dave H.  You, no doubt as a part of the "discerning,"  want to add requirements to this  --  go ahead.   But here is an inescapable criticism  --   when you start adding to what DaveH has admitted to, there is no place to stop.  Salvation suddenly ceases to be a gift and becomes a matter of dues paid based upon our obedience  (Ro 4:4) .  What are these other requirements? And,  and when is it that your work is done and the Lord's begins, or takes over, or whatever it is that you believe.

I will add this thought:  where DavidH believes he is required to perform because of his understanding and faith in the traditions that are his,  he MUST so perform.  If he believes that I am NOT saved ---  "lost"  as it were  ---   for believing that I MUST follow what I see as Divine tradition, well, then, he would be wrong  (according to me and my recent publication:   The Gospel According to John
smithson).

The fact remains that the brother in Romans 14, who was required to follow his personal conviction WAS DOCTRINALLY WRONG.   Folks like you, dear Linda, think the lessons of Romans 14 apply only to the question of meats and special days and --   thank god  ---  since those are of little modern day consequence, the passage really has nothing to say to those of us who differ on more importanct matters today.   Read the question and the answer below and add the appropriate things to do.

it is not because of his faith  --   it is because of the faith of Christ Jesus Himself.   There is salvation in none other.  On that we all agree.

Does Dave Hansen agree?

DAVEH:  Yes.

John