John wrote:
> The fact is, Abraham could do nothing about the
> promise apart from God's intervention.   All that
> was left for him was simply to believe.   THAT
> is the bibilical context for the statement.

Good point.  Nevertheless, if Abraham did not cooperate and continue to have
sexual relations with his wife, he likely would not have inherited the
promise.  Furthermore, his faith was made perfect by works when he offered
Isaac upon the altar, right?  In other words, this is not a simple story.
There is much more to the story than just, "Abraham believed God."

John wrote:
> It is THAT example that defines "salvation
> by faith apart from our own effor [sic] (works
> of law).

I have been noticing that you often seem to equate "effort" and "obedience"
with "works of law."  I do not see these as the same thing.  In other words,
obedience to the law is not the same thing as obedience to the gospel.
Furthermore, good works is not the same thing as works of the law.  Is this
something I should give more commentary on, or am I just misunderstanding
you?  Do you think obedience / good works and works of the law is the same
thing?