Thanks for a right attitude of not being easily offended, DaveH—we certainly can’t fault you there, as it is exemplary.  (FYI, this does NOT make me your “disciple.” J ) Izzy

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dave Hansen
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 11:24 PM
To: TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] What is a Christian?

Slade Henson wrote:

A Message for Dave Hansen and Dave Hansen alone

Are you offended with posts of this nature that include your name in a disparaging manner? If so, would you be equally offended if your name was not included and the term "The average Mormon" was used?

DAVEH:   I am saddened by such, Slade.  But I am not offended by it.  >From experience, I've learned to expect it, but it does surprise me that after being here for 5 years now, I would continue to be on the receiving end of it from some of my TT friends.

    In a sense, I prefer that there be no ad hominen rules apply to those who want to speak their mind to me.  It bothers me to think that others can't be up front when they talk to me.  If they think ill of me, I'd prefer they vocalize it so I can try to mend the broken fence.  Failing that, I'll try to find another way to mitigate the situation.  On the other hand, if everybody is afraid to bare their souls to me, I fear the hate that will fester will be far more destructive in the end....to the one harboring such feelings.

    As you know.....I've got a thick skin and am not smart enough to know when somebody is really out to do me harm.  So....most ill phrased comments tend to bounce off without doing much interior damage.  Furthermore....I'm getting too old to raise my blood pressure simply over social misbehavior.  Also, I learned many, many years ago that an angry dog will not bite when you stare them in the face.   It is only when you turn your back on them to run that they will nip you in the butt.  (Hope that doesn't draw a TT reprimand! :-) )    So....when somebody is airing out their grievances against Mormons, it allows me to face their accusations head on, which to me is the safest place to be in such a situation.  As I see it, if their true sentiments simmer within for a long time, eventually their soul will boil over in a situation that becomes difficult to control.

    So, in summary.....Go easy with reprimands to those who view me as a problem in TT and feel the need to express their true feelings.  Unless it creates a problem for you to dispense discipline unevenly, allow them to let their steam blow off harmlessly and I'll let you know if the heat becomes unbearable for me.