These events occured 8 years after Joe was supposedly told not to join them
http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/josephsmithmethodist.htm

Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith, by Linda K. Newell and Valeen T. Avery, University of Illinois Press, 1994, p.25.
"They told him plainly that such character as he . . . could not be a member of the church unless he broke off his sins by repentance, made public confession, renounced his fraudulent and hypocritical practices, and gave some evidence that he intended to reform and conduct himself somewhat nearer like a christian than he had done. They gave him his choice to go before the class, and publicly ask to have his name stricken from the class book, or stand a disciplinary investigation." Joseph refused to comply with the humiliating demands and withdrew from the class. His name, however, stayed on the roll for about six more months, either from oversight or because Emma’s brother-in-law, Michael Morse, who taught the class, did not know of the confrontation. When Joseph did not seek full membership, Morse finally dropped his name.2"
Page 314, footnote 2:
Amboy Journal, 11 June and 30 April 1879. In 1879 Joseph and Hiel Lewis, sons of Uncle Nathaniel Lewis, debated with a Mormon named Edwin Cadwell over events in Harmony while Emma and Joseph lived there. The Amboy Journal reproduced their letters.

LDS historian, Richard L. Bushman, referred to Smith’s involvement with the Methodists in his book Joseph Smith and the Beginnings of Mormonism, University of Illinois Press, 1984, pp. 54, 94-95.

Dave Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

David Miller wrote:
David Miller wrote:

There would be a historical reason.
Joseph Smith was baptized a Protestant
(Baptist), ...

Dave Hansen wrote:

Where did you come up with that, DavidM?

Don't you remember me raising this point some years ago here on TruthTalk?

DAVEH:  Wait until you reach my age, and your brains turn to mush....         :-[

    Thanx for digging it up again, DavidM.  I'll run it through an LDS forum to see if anybody can enlighten me more on it.
I read this in, "Joseph Smith and the Origins of the Book of Mormon," by
David Peruitte, second edition, 2000, www.mcfarlandpub.com.
http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?isbn=0-7864-0826-X

On page 29, he writes, "Arriving at the residence of the Smith family and
finding that Joseph was not there, they asked Joseph's father to tell them
the story of the discovery of the plates.  The elder Smith complied, and
while doing so he described some early events in his son's life, including
the digging of a well, that, from other sources, it is known Joseph had dug
in 1822.  About two years after digging the well (Lapham related the father
as saying), Joseph 'became concerned as to his future state of existence,
and was baptized, becoming a member of the Baptist Church.'  Two years after
1822 would be 1824, the same year in which occurred the revivals started by
Mr. Lane."

The footnote here references the following source:
Fayette Lapham, "The Mormons," Historical Magazine, Vol. 8, 2nd Series, No.
5 (May 1870), pp. 305-306.

Dave Hansen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.langlitz.com