In a message dated 2/12/2005 11:39:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Thanks for the answer, David. Why do you think Jesus did not say, "And for their sakes I give them the example of myself, that they also may be sanctified by truth"? He said that sort of thing at other times, but not here. Instead he said, "And for their sakes I SANCTIFY Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth." I agree with what you say pertaining to the word of truth being the sanctifying agent (along with the Holy Spirit of course) as far as we are concerned. But why in Jesus' case must it be any different? It was in and through the sanctification of his own humanity via these things that he defeated sin, death, and the devil, -- in other words, he is much more than an example to us -- and this in order that we might now be in a position of being able to be sanctified by the Truth through the work of the Spirit in our lives. Do you understand the distinction I am drawing and what I mean when I make it? Tell me what you think of it.

Bill

If "sanctify" is more than "to set apart,"  what are the additional nuances?

JD