On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:11:26 -0700 "Bill Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
jt: Do you believe the first Adam was "something other than human" also?

Hi Judy,  I take it you are speaking of the first Adam in his pre-fallen state. And so, the answer is, No, I do not believe he was something other than human -- neither do I believe that Adam needed "saved" prior to the fall. But he did after it. And so did all humanity after the fall.

jt: Yes all humanity procreated throught he first man Adam were born with a "fallen" human nature with an inheritance of iniquity through "the fathers".  Jesus however, was not procreated through the first man Adam.  He was born of the woman without a human father and the iniquities of the fathers come down generationally through the male.

And that is the humanity Christ came to save: i.e., fallen humanity. To have assumed a nature other than the one he came to save would be to leave that which was fallen untouched and unredeemed, still in its sin. That is what the early church meant when it said things like the unassumed is unsaved and that which was not taken up in Christ was not saved. In fact, I'll share several quotes with you from early Christians.

jt: I don't see any statement or concept like this in all of the New Testament Bill.  He did not assume our human nature, he paid the price for our sin and took these upon Himself at Calvary.

Gregory Nazianzen wrote,
The unassumed is the unhealed; but what is united to Christ is saved. If only half of Adam fell, then what Christ assumes and saves may be half also; but if the whole of his nature fell, it must be united to the whole nature of him who was begotten, and so be saved as a whole. (Ep.,101; cf. Or., 1.23; 22.13)
And in a similar statement Gregory Nyssen wrote,
He who came for this cause, that he might seek and save that which was lost (i.e., what the shepherd in the parable calls the sheep), both finds that which is lost, and carries home on his shoulder the whole sheep, not just the fleece, that he might make the man of God complete, united to God in body and soul. And thus he who was in all points tempted as we are yet without sin, left no part of our nature which he did not take up into himself. (Anter. con. Eun., Jaeger, 2. pg. 386)
And in another Basil argued,
If Christ had not come in our flesh, he could not have slain sin in the flesh and restored and reunited to God the humanity which fell in Adam and became alienated from God. (Ep., 261.2)
And years earlier it was Athanasius who wrote,
It was impossible to pay one thing as a ransom in exchange for a different thing; on the contrary, he gave body for body and soul for soul and complete existence for the whole man. This is the reconciling exchange of Christ. (Con. Apol., 1.17)
And while you may not respect these guys, and you may not give what they say any bearing in your interpretive framework, you should know that when you go against them, you are cutting against your own heritage as a Christian. These are the great defenders of our Faith, upon whose statements the church universal was made able to stand in orthodoxy against the heresies of both the Arians and the Apollinarians.

jt: It's not upon these men, however great, that the church of the Lord Jesus Christ stands.  It is upon the doctrine of Christ as taught by Jesus Himself and the apostles in which there is none of this.

And you should know this, too, Judy, that when you reject this teaching, it is you who takes the side of the heterodox and not they; and it is they who stand in the stream of classic orthodoxy and not you. This may not concern you, I know -- but it should.

jt: Bill I follow the voice of the Chief Shepherd and "sola scripture" rather than any record of "classic orthodoxy"  IMO these men took upon themselves a ministry that was never ordained by God.  Men don't get anyone into the Kingdom and they can't put anyone out even someone they believe to be a heretick.  When the disciples brought Jesus' attention to some who were baptizing and were not of them he said to "let them alone".  Paul took the same stand regarding those who preached Christ out of a wrong motive.  It's all about letting God be God in the lives of ppl since none of us is empowered to come to Jesus aside from the Father's drawing anyway and the power to become a son is inactive aside from continuing in His Word anyway.  So this stream of "classic orthodoxy" is extra Biblical.  Something of which the reformers were aware.

Judy wrote  >  We are not born into this world "alive to God" Bill, in fact we are dead in trespasses and sin (see Eph 2)

The language to which you refer is metaphorical, Judy, and is not to be taken in your dualistic frame of reference. Again, it was not until Augustine that Christians began to think in the dichotomous terms of physical life in spiritual death.

jt: The language is literal Bill and this is why you are unable to see.  As for physical life in spiritual death, this happened in the garden long before Augustine, it became a reality when Adam disobeyed and ate from the wrong tree - which is when he died spiritually after which death reigned from Adam to Moses.

However, Jesus (the second Adam) was never ever "dead in trespass and sin" other than during that 3hrs on the cross.  Yes he defeated principalities and powers but there are many who "believe" the good news who are still just as bound by them as they were before they believed.  So why is that?

They probably believe something similar to what you are teaching, Judy. Hence, they are in bondage because they believe in something less than the truth (I hope that's I nice way of putting it). But when one believes the good news of his salvation and receives the Holy Spirit, that person has received the Truth, and that truth makes him free, and he does not return to the indwelt bondages of his prior beliefs, when he lived in the lies of this world.  Bill

jt: You are putting it delicately Bill but you need to show me by scripture that what I am saying is something less than the truth.  I think the gospel you promote is hopelessly naive.  You are following "orthodoxy" rather than the Lord and these men set themselves up in the 3rd and 4th Century as Lords over God's heritage. By this time the gifts Jesus sent for the Church were lost for all intents and purposes.  No discernment, no genuine healing, and in the RCC divination reigned and still does.