John wrote:
> ... the conflict of the old and the new continues.

I think we agree on this, but there is an intensity of conflict that arises
when the old man is resurrected which is completely unnecessary and not part
of God's immediate will for the believer.

John wrote:
> One is decreasing and the other is increasing.

This statement is where you begin to depart from the truth.  The old man is
not decreasing.  It is to be reckoned dead.  As Barth said, this is to be
done at once.

The new man, however, is increasing, and continues to increase until the
resurrection.  Spiritually we grow just like a newborn baby grows and
develops.