JD writes:
Paul tells us that we are "justified" by faith apart from obedience to [moral and ceremonial] law.  That occurs because of the faith of Christ  -- God seeing that and accepting it as our righteousness.    This blessing occurs "in Christ" via the Incarnation which presented all of mankind reconciled to God.

The above is "another gospel" and Paul does not tell us any of it JD.  This revelation was received and is taught by certain theologians that you admire. Paul did not contradict any other scripture.

So when are you going to learn that there is nothing wrong with God's eyesight.  When he looks at you he sees you not Christ and He has given to every man the measure of faith. Christ's work on the cross is finished; a done deal - So if in fact our righteousness is the faith of Christ then sin would not affect it because "it is finished" right?

However, we see in 1 John 1:9 (post Calvary) "If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness"  So apparently sin causes us to go from "righteous" to "unrighteous" and needs to be confessed and dealt with.  So when you combine your righteousness with that of Christ you make Him unrighteous which also violates scripture because there is not and never was any unrighteousness in Him and He is not responsible for your choices..

Secondly all mankind are not "born of the Spirit" and reconciled to God at the incarnation because the world is not able unable to receive the Spirit of Truth (John 14:17).  Rather He is sent to convict them of sin, righteousness (vs their unrighteousness) and the judgment to come (John 16:8).

James tells us that we are "justified by works and not by faith alone."

James wrote that faith without corresponding actions is dead being alone.

The legalist or "works salvationists" see this as a statement implying specific and prescribed works  --   hear, believe, confess, repent, be baptized.

The above is written by a "true legalist"

The student of James, the letter, sees this as visiting the fatherless, the widows, honoring the poor   ------   that sort of thing  (in fact, James does not even allude to the traditional legalese of modern Christianity.)

James calls the above "true religion" - visiting and helping the poor are some of the the fruit of a righteous life.

Such works, James tells the student, is evidence of a personal faith.   One is "required"  (the faith of Christ counted as our righteousness)  and the other is an _expression_ of our justification and is viewed by James as an action that continues our justification.  We have been saved, we are being saved, and we will be saved.

Theological legalism John, the above is not evidence of anyone's heart attitude because unbelievers can do good works from a sense of guilt and they often do.  Motivation is everything.  man looks at "outward appearance"

If we have been "born again" or born of the Spirit we have been saved (John 3:3); the work of sanctification in our lives is "being saved" and when we are accepted at the Judgment Seat of Christ (read sheep and goats) we "will be saved"

IF we have not wrested the scriptures to our own destruction..........

judyt