Debbie wrote:
> Some things to consider with regard to communication:
> A text, whether spoken or written, is not itself a message
> but only a vehicle for a message. Also, it is not independent
> of speaker and hearer. In fact, in any act of discourse,
> we have to recognize not only the message but:
> the sender and the receiver and their relationship;

Excellent analysis, Debbie.

It is interesting, too, that relationship can have differing effects on the
ability to communicate.  For example, concerning those who do not have a
relationship with someone, say someone like Karl Barth, they might
understand him in a way that is different than if they were in relationship
with him.  Furthermore, the way in which relationship effects communication
might change over time.  For example, in the beginning of a relationship, a
person might begin to understand better the teachings of someone else
through increased non-verbal cues and through observing how the person lives
out his teachings.  However, as that relationship increases, it might
actually hinder the ability to communicate.  It is like the proverb:
familiarity breeds contempt.  Jesus taught it by saying that a prophet is
not without honor, save in his own country and in his own house.  In his own
neighborhood, people were the least able to understand and appreciate the
teachings of Jesus Christ.  Even his own siblings did not believe in him
until after the resurrection.  So sometimes as a person begins to know
another person better, communication begins to break down because of
feelings of distrust, bitterness, etc. that interfere with the message being
conveyed.  It is interesting to consider that in the case of Jesus and his
apostles and prophets, those feelings of distrust and bitterness that hinder
communication may not have a valid foundation.  In the case of Jesus, it
even says that he could not do many mighty works in his hometown because of
the distrust they had toward him.  Suffice it to say that when a person
allows a root of bitterness in his heart, communication becomes impossible
between him and the one with whom he is bitter.