Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 12:36 AM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] More wisdom from Dallas Willard

Odd but my father never hit me. My mom only hit me on 2 occasions and it was one slap on the shoulder out of sheer frustration: once when I fired a nanny at age 5 and once at age 9? when I shoved my little brother into the toilet. Mostly, they were indulgent or negligent (easy with servants hanging around!). But love was not an issue and neither was obedience or discipline. We just were: loved, obedient and disciplined. I never got in trouble at school or with the law. Neither did my 3 brothers. My little brother just told me drugs were rampant in our high school and I said I was never offered any and neither were you. He said they just knew better.

So now we have 2 personal anecdotes of child rearing. For what it's worth, psych and social studies say physically punishing a child does more harm than good.

Love,

Caroline