I've wondered about this also Izzy; and 100% sincerity won't count for much if one is 100%
deceived as Eve was.  Paul was concerned lest the Corinthians minds should be corrupted
away from the simplicity that is in Christ (2 Cor 11:3) - and he didn't keep on about how
one couldn't really know the truth - he dealt with the spiritual "For if he that cometh preacheth
another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not
received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted ... ye might well bear with him"  jt