Izzy, that must have been a sight to behold.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 7:51 PM
Subject: [TruthTalk] Quilt Show

I just got back from helping with the taking down our biannual Thimble & Thread quilt show.  It was a huge effort for the largest St. Louis guild (and there are many.)  Dozens of us erected the PVC stands and hung sleeved black drapes on them Thursday night from 5-10pm.  The frames are high and it takes a lot of strength to put all the pieces together and climb up and down ladders to assemble them.  My husband did the ladders while I helped closer to the ground. The next crew hung the quilts from 7-1pm the next day, at which time the show began. Vendors lined two of the walls.  The space was a rented (drained) hockey area, and it was full of neat rows of proudly displayed quilts, from beginner to advanced quality; mini-quilts to king-sized quilts; pieced, appliqued, hand and machine worked.  Volunteers took tickets at the front tables and handed out printed programs, other volunteers wore white gloves and showed inquirers the backs of quilts, and still others worked at the consignment and raffle tables.

I love quilts because you can give the same pattern to 100 different women (or men) and they will produce 100 entirely different quilts, depending upon their choices in fabrics, their quality of work, and their quilting/finishing techniques.  One of our most outstanding quilters is long time member Russ, a retired Boeing engineer, who 15 years ago got hooked on quilting in an attempt to save money by making a quilt that his wife wanted. He had 3 large bedquilts displayed with the most gorgeous intricate quilting, and many fabrics that he had hand-dyed himself. There were drawings for the raffle quilt (which takes two years to produce by the guild), the little raffles for mini-quilts (a friend screamed when we were standing there repeating her name over and over again and they picked her name right then!), and lots of shopping from the vendors.  I was very good—only purchased ¾ yd of an irresistible piece of crazy purple fabric! It only took a couple of hours to take down the quilts, fold them back into their original pillow cases, and dismantle the frames again.  It’s all over for two more years, except for washing and storing all of the equipment, the planning and organizing for next time, and making the next raffle quilt, and advance sales of chances on the quilt, and forming committees, and much more.  Well, maybe we can take a few days off? Oh, yeah—my Circle in the Square guild has a show coming up in September!!! Izzy