A SP who does not speak unless spoken to.

Not all street preachers are preachy

Matt Heinz
Daily Staff

I guess you should expect that there will be some street preachers around every once in a while on a college campus. They are not necessarily talking about religion, either. You find some people spouting stuff about abortion, environmental issues and other various political issues.

Most people pay these people no mind. They try to walk by as quickly as they can. Some "preachers," if they are entertaining enough, will attract a small crowd. Few are really taken seriously.

Religious street preachers have a worse reputation than most. For some reason, most people assume that anyone speaking out loud about religion on a street corner or college campus is a wacko. They've seen a few preachers, sometimes just one, who fits this description well, and they assume all street preachers are alike.

I myself am a Christian. I do not, however, have any inclination to go out into a large public place and start talking out loud to people about my faith. That's just not my style. There are many who are comfortable with this practice. Cliffe is but one of many.

Cliffe has been out in Red Square every afternoon this week for a couple of hours talking about his faith and answering any questions that anyone has. I spent some time last year listening to him and did the same this year, and although I do not agree with everything Cliffe says, I respect him much more than most street preachers I've seen.

Not once while I was watching him did Cliffe judge. Not once did he tell someone that they would be going to Hell for their sins. And not once did he speak when not spoken to.

Unlike most street preachers, who just yell at anyone passing by, Cliff waits for a question. There were several times when he'd finish answering a question, see no new hands raised, and just stand there silently, waiting for a new question.

Many questions asked of Cliffe were indeed challenging to the Christian faith. Instead of condemning or yelling at the person, Cliff would thank them for the question and calmly give his answer. Sometimes he and the student with the initial question would engage in a brief exchange of ideas. These discussions never turned into shouting matches or condemnations. Cliffe was as calm with the declared Atheist as he was with devout Christian.

There were many times when I disagreed with Cliffe's argument, his belief, or his rationale. We are both Christian, but his views on many subject differ from mine. And that's OK. I still respect him, because he respects those to whom he is talking.

Cliffe respected each and every student in Red Square. It was too bad many were too closed-minded to even give him a chance.

You don't have to believe. You don't have to agree. But it won't hurt you to listen. Of all the confrontational street preachers out there, some are worth listening to. Not because they're right. That's for you to decide. But because they'll treat you like an intelligent human being. It won't hurt you to give Cliffe, and many like him, a chance.

Copyright © 1996 The Daily of the University of Washington  http://archives.thedaily.washington.edu/1996/041996/heinz.html