Dave:Thanks for taking a 'run' at it. I'm surprized at your response to #1 and, I'll attempt to elucidate. As to #2, I'm afraid it's a 'Roseanne Roseanna Danna thingy. (I said Evangelicalism NOT Evangelism)!

I believe that thinking shoul be 'open structured'. You've read me on this previously so, I'll not repeat myself. I also believe that Who Jesus Is is absolutely central to the gospel.(See the Nicean Creed). There are distinctives, not historically but in contrast to current evangelical thought, that I espouse (see them best articulated in the archives by Bill Taylor). Given this, I never cease to subject my beliefs to critical questioning. Not unlike yourself, I do this best with those who do not simply offer a caricature of that which I believe.
I not only could but do offer a critique of my own theology regularly. (Get to the point, Lance) This is that which I sought from yourself.
----- Original Message -----
From: Dave
Sent: June 04, 2005 20:30
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] A public request to DaveH

Lance Muir wrote:
You've outlined your reasons for being here on numerous occasions, Dave. You write well. You read well. You've undoubtedly learned much.
DAVEH:  Thank you for the kind words, Lance.   Though I'm not sure I quite deserve them....
Would you kindly consider the following:

1. Write a description of Mormonism, as if you were a non-Mormon, utilizing the information you've gleaned while being a participant on TT?
DAVEH:   I'm afraid I don't know how to do that.  I think I am far too biased to ever write such from a non-LDS viewpoint.

2. Write a description of Evangelicalism, from a Mormon persepctive, utilizing the information you've gleaned while being a participant on TT?
DAVEH:   ???   I'm not sure I can do that either.  What I see on TT appears not to be evangelism from my (LDS biased) perspective.  Maybe if you would define it as you perceive it, the perhaps I could offers my thoughts.

    Let me explain how I perceive evangelism, and then you can correct (or enlighten) me if I am wrong.  I see evangelism as a way or calling to spread the gospel of the Lord.  I don't see that happening in TT though.  While many have expressed a desire to bring others to Jesus, what appears to happen on TT is quite the opposite.  What is said seems to have more an opposing force, rather than an attractive effect.

    Let me give you an example.  To a committed Mormon, having their holy underwear waved in their faces at Conference time is an abomination, and would cause many to recoil rather than be attracted to the message.  Similarly, if another TTer takes what I find holy and tries to embarrass me with it in TT, would you think I would be attracted to the person trying to denigrate my beliefs?  So where's evangelism in TT?  Instead I see strife and intended conflict.  It almost seems some folks are here to witness the blood an carnage, if not being the perpetrators of such themselves.  Maybe it's like a wrestling match.  Do people really watch wrestling to see good triumph over evil, or do they instead simply want to see two guys brutalize one another.  IOW....the more blood drawn, the more enthused the crowd.  Those who do not enjoy seeing the blood, simply leave the arena after getting their fill of it.  Perhaps those of us who remain have a high capacity for the talk that is less true and more battle.  So....Has TT merely become a spectator sport in a virtual world of TruthTalk gladiators and not much else?

It need not be some multi-page, to-be-published, document. Just do what you've already demonstrated that you do well.
DAVEH:  I may have failed you on that one, Lance.  I don't think I can step aside my LDS biases enough to give you that view.  And, I suspect we have two strikingly different understandings of evangelism.  If you want me to elaborate, you'll have to define evangelism as you understand it.

I. and every thoughtful participant on TT, understands that you draw a distinction between believers & non-believers which places 'us' in the NB category.
DAVEH:  Not at all, Lance.  As far as I've seen, I think all TTers are believers.  We just don't believe all the same things.  For that matter, I don't think there are any two TTers who believe alike.  But in my book, that doesn't mean they are all unbelievers.

     As I see it though, believing is simply not enough to achieve salvation.
 I'm genuinely interested in this. Unless the moderator objects
DAVEH:  You mean besides objecting to my definition of evangelism, or do you think he will object to me teaching you what I think?     :-)
I'd really like to hear you on both of the above.

Lance

--
 Dave Hansen